Thursday, December 29, 2005

Advice on writing

Ach. I was going to write something earlier. I was excited, motivated, and knew precisely what I was going to say. And actually, I still know what I'm going to say, because it is directly related to my forgetting. But it won't be as good, and it will definitely be less organized.

I was going to say: here are my rules for writing.
It's not like I'm some wonderfully successful writer (I have won a little prize money, but nothing to brag about); however, these work for me.

The first, most important rule, and the one that I can't forget because forgetting reminds me of it, is this: never, never, never delay writing anything down. When it comes to mind, write it down. Don't wait until it's convenient. That'll be too late. Thoughts are ethereal - they leave once new ones come, and are gone without a trace. Sometimes you can summon them back by mulling over the same things that led to them, but that depends on you remembering those thoughts. Thoughts are like lives - they are ours, but they are not ours to keep. Use them while you have them.

The other important rule is very similar - write all the time. I say it is similar because most people will say to themselves, "someday I will write this or that," but someday is always another day away. There is only now.
As an excuse, people often say, "I don't know how to write very well," or, "I don't know what to write." That isn't important. The only way to improve is to practice. So, even though the first efforts will almost certainly be terrible, write them anyway. Go nuts. Finish them. Then, when time has removed you from the effort, go back and read it. You will be disappointed, and, if not, have someone else critique it. You will be disappointed. Write something new. Repeat. And if you say you have nothing to write about - well, having nothing to say has never stopped anyone from talking, has it? Write whatever comes to mind. If nothing comes to mind, you might be dead. Get that checked out. If you're not dead, something will come to mind. If you are, try writing anyway. Everyone wants to know what the dead can tell.

I suppose it would also be helpful to read good writing. Very helpful. Having friends, or even enemies, tear apart your writing can probably do an alright substitute job. But it is always easier to learn by following an example, than to learn through error what is not allowed. Writing only seems easy while you're reading it. When you know how difficult it is to write, you will learn much more from reading. Chances are, you will lose respect for some authors when you see how boring and mechanical their writing is. And of course you will gain respect for others.
A big part of writing is forcing people to see. We all forget the things that are always around us, due to familiarity. Often these things are important. So the writer's job is to find a new way of looking at the familiar, in a way that makes it strange and new again.


There are exceptions to these rules, and by no means are they inclusive. If you can concentrate on one thought, uninterrupted, you might not want to write it down immediately. Consider it, and let it develop and mature. See how it is embellished and changed. It may become more interesting than it originally was. Of course, it might also become dull, and then you will not want to write your original thought. Which is your loss, really - that thought may not have been bad, and it may be that it only occurred to you. Or, more likely, it has occurred to many, but none have written it. Be the first. There are other good rules on writing, but I am stubborn: I only know the ones I use, and ignore the advice of others.




I give this advice assuming you want to write, and that you are fool enough to trust me. I think nearly everyone wants to write, though. Most people like the idea of making their thoughts known, or at least making them permanent (as permanent as things get around here). Like I said, there is no way of knowing when, where, or whom 'your' thoughts will next strike - with such an uncertain future, it seems best to immortalize what we can while we still have time.

Probably the biggest misconception people have about writing is that it's easy. That is where nearly all the problems originate. People assume that, because it is easy, it requires no practice - the thoughts on paper will flow beautifully without effort. That writers do no 'real' work, but only relax and amuse themselves. Those are both totally wrong, of course. Writers are all crazy - the importance and difficulty of their work is out of all proportion to their pay. They control ideas, the most powerful tools we posses. And yet, most writers can only afford to write on the side, when they are not earning money at a 'real' job.

So, my message, especially for those of you in school: write. Now. Don't put it off.
(Oh - heh - and let me read it. We can help each other out.)

No comments: