Monday, February 26, 2007

Back, but not home

It's been a while, hasn't it? I should write about myself, and what I'm doing. There are a lot of things I could cover, but some are complicated, and will take time.

Interesting things have happened. For example, I took a trip, alone, last weekend, in which I decided I knew how to ride a scooter and then proved myself right. I was glad of that. Dying on a scooter would be embarrassing.
I've got pictures of that I'll upload later. There were other trips, and more interesting ones, before, but I was alone on this one, and must write it down soon, or forever forget some details.

Alright - to make a long story short - I am dating 家寧. That's awesome, because she's awesome. However, for other reasons that also take more explanation, I was not able to spend this last weekend with her. She had family obligations. So, I was thinking of taking a trip anyway, and with her convincing, I actually managed to go.


At first, I was thinking of trying out paragliding. Flight is appealing, especially in a country where it's cheap to learn. However, according to the site Wings Taiwan, this is not an especially good place to learn. Most trainers are not qualified, and most sites are somewhat...unsuitable. Ordinarily one learns to paraglide by taking little hops down pleasant, grassy, rolling hills, gliding further and further each time, until one is comfortable and experienced. In Taiwan, someone with a healthy disrespect for life, safety, and more or less everything else but money, will 'train' you...and in the most suitable location, that means being shoved down a hill into some trees. In the less suitable ones, it means being shoved down a hill into some trees, powerlines, and possibly a farmer's explosive booby-trap. Heh.
I e-mailed the guy who runs the site. He recommended Bali for learning paragliding. Unfortunately, Bali is some distance away, and only marginally cheaper than learning back in America. I really do want to see Bali, and I really do want to learn this. However, I also really do want to retain the option of eating for the next few months, something I would have to forgo if I were to take such a trip. Yup.

Next, my idea for a trip was to go to Kending (墾丁). It's the tropical area of Taiwan, and it's got lots of nice beaches, surfing, snorkeling, scuba diving, national parks, etc. However, I was informed that Chinese New Year is about the busiest time one could go there. So I figured I'd do it later.

So I decided on Hualien (花蓮). Everyone says the scenery is pretty. It's got hot springs nearby. And there aren't many people. So that was that. I went with 家寧 on Wednesday morning to get my ticket, and planned to leave on the 10:00 train Thursday morning. Notice I said planned. (That's called foreshadowing, by us fancy, educated folks.) I would stay until Sunday or Monday, as I didn't have much to do in the immediate future.

But the rest will have to wait! There will be pictures with that. It will come soon. And I don't mean soon in God's time, geological time, or my time - I mean, like, within the week. Heh...see you then!

No comments: